September 03, 2007

Labor Day Race Report

So, it seems that choosing (at the last minute) to switch from the 10k to the 5k wasn't such a bad decision after all.

I did it because I thought I could get some hardware.

I didn't get any hardware.

But, I did come in 4th place for my age, and PR'ed by 2 whole seconds.

Not bad for a lazy Monday morning.

Troy finished EXACTLY 5 minutes ahead of me. Weird, huh??

He came in 5th place for his age group.

All in all it was a quick easy course. I woke this morning with a sore throat and a stuffy nose and thought my shot at a PR was gone since I wasn't sure how the whole breathing thing would work out if I was stuffy. Then when we got to the start I had a case of the butterflies-in-the-stomach. I'm not sure why because I wasn't nervous. I'm beginning to think that me and DQ Heath Bar Blizzards don't mix. But that's a different story for a different day. So, Troy headed to the front so he could be with all the cross country kids, while I took a place somewhere in the middle. Close enough to the front to not have to weave in and out of walkers, and far enough back that I didn't hold any of the fast runners up. I knew the first water stop was 1.1 miles and that by the first mile I would know where I would be at for the finish. What I didn't take into account was that the only real hill was right after that water stop. The hill was tough but managable and I just kept telling myself that once I made it over that hill it would, literally, all be down hill from there. I made it to the top although much of it was a blur. I tried to focus on some stuff we talked about in Sunday School yesterday which seemed to hit home with me. I tried to constantly remind myself why I was doing this, and who I was doing it for. That seemed to get me through most of the race. A little before mile 2 I caught up with an older gentleman and a lady that I had seen at the packet pickup the day before. I knew she was running the 5k, getting in her car, and driving to the 10k start and doing the 10k too. I figured she would be setting a good pace so I'd keep up with her and the other gentleman. We played the game where I would pass them and then they would pass me a few times. They finally stayed in front for a while and he kept looking back at me and saying "hurry up". I wasn't sure if he was talking to me but I pretended that he was and kept on running. We rounded a corner at about the 2.5 mark when he decided to jump up on the curb (maybe to pass me, I'm not sure) and when he did he lost his footing and landed right on his back! I stopped and tried to help him up. For a second he just laid there...and then all of a sudden, in a true Jerry Maguire moment, he raised his arms up and said "I'm ok". We cheered and he told us to head on without him. As I started to run on I could hear him in the background yelling "that girl (ME???) tripped me!!!! She tripped me!!!!" So, I stopped again to turn and see him laughing....he eventually caught back up with me, passed me, and became my "hurry up" guy again. I sortof got off track after that whole incident and couldn't remember how far the finish was. My side was killing me. I stopped for a second to raise my arm above my ahead and relieve the pain when I heard "HURRY UP" again. It was at that point that I realized I was close to the end. I wanted to start sprinting but I wasn't sure where the clock was. I finally saw the clock and looked down at my watch and thought I'm not gonna PR but at least I can come really really close. I started my sprint and crossed the finish line to see Troy, my Dad, and his Mom. Everything was a blur, my calves were killing me, and I just wanted to sit down. I looked down at my watch to see 26:22, which would have been a 4 second PR. We'd just have to wait and see what the official time was.

Troy brought me some water and we sat for a few minutes. After I cooled off we went to watch some of the other runners come in and watch the 10k runners start filtering in. I noticed that the times were already posted so I headed over to see what my actual time was.

My time - 26:24
Troy's time - 21:24

So, not bad considering the minimal training I've been putting in.

I really had no idea that I would PR, much less do as well as I did. Of course, like every other race, it started to make me think where I could be if I put a little more effort into it. But for today, I'm not beating myself up about that. I'm happy with my performance, I've got a full belly (Cracker Barrell after the race!), I'm clean now, and I'm going to take a nap!

Have a great Labor Day!


Laurie said...

Congrats on the PR! Great job giving it everything you had :)

miss petite america said...

5ks are so satisfying that way!!!

congrats on the PR!