August 14, 2007


Okay, so I don't totally hate it. It's nice that it stays light so late. And it's nice for the sun to be shining most of the time. But OMG. I am so sick of 100+ degree days. I declined on the tuna fish sandwich I had offered myself and went out for lunch with some girls from office and on the way back remembered why I had brought my lunch in the first place: so I wouldn't have to go out in this heat...that sandwhich will definitely get eaten tomorrow. And it makes me tired. Which in turn makes me lazy. Both Monday and Tuesday I have not run in the AM, but packed my bags to get an afternoon jaunt on the treadmill in. Neither day has this really happened, but both days I was totally prepared. But the's just so draining that all I can think about is coming home. Which is ironic. Because in my office it is about -45 degrees all day long, and at home it's averaging between 78 and 80 degrees. But, I forget about that until I get all the way home. And really, who am I to complain??? Did you just read that part about how it's -45 degrees in the office. And (I can't believe I'm fessing up to this) it's so cold that I leave my little heater under my desk on all day long. Don't tell anyone, okay? Especially, not T-roi who slaves away his days not only in the heat, but also touching customers dirty *hot* cars.

So, what does all of this have to do with running you ask?

Well, it's making me lazy. And really I *operate* much better on a schedule. I hate that about me, but it's just the way I'm wired. I *joke* with T-roi that I will be on happy pills before long to take my anxiety away. Maybe I need to start trying to channel some of that energy into runnnig? Well, maybe, but that's another post for another day. Today, I am altering my schedule. At least until it gets cooler out.

Here's how it's GONNA shake down:

I have to be at work at 7:30am. But, I can come in one hour late, three times a week, so that I can get my fitness on. So, Monday's/Wednesday's/Thursday's I'll get up at 5am, lift my weights for 30 minutes and be headed to the base by 6am. I'll arrive at 6:30 which will give me an hour to run before I need to be heading to the showers so that I can arrive by 8:30 (and yes...I am THAT slow when I get ready). On Tuesday's and Friday's (if I'm *lucky* enough to work a Friday), I'll still get up at 5am but I'll be out the door by 5:30 to arrive at the gym by 6am. I'll either do crosstraining for 30 minutes or run 30 minutes on the treadmill, or 30 minutes around the indoor track, depending on what training calls for. That way I'll be right by the showers at 6:30 and still have plenty of time to shower and get to the office by 7:30.

My problem is that currently I'm trying to get up at 5am some mornings, and at 6am others. And in my half-sleeped stated, I usually can convince myself that it's a DNR (do not run) day and that I can sleep til 6. And then I start my day off super-crappy because I've missed another opportunity for a spectacular run. So, I sabotage myself all day with some sorta treat I shouldn't be eating (like Heath bars or carrott cheesecake). And it becomes this who cyclical thing that I totally hate.

So, that's my story and *hopefully* I'll be sticking to it.

In other happy news, I found out that the 10k I ran last weekend was AT LEAST .3 miles longer than it should have been. Since I came in 86 out of 109, I'm upping that to *it was exactly 1/2 mile longer than it should have been*. Again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. In hindsight I wish I had of instructed T-roi to NOT put my name on the time's really just THAT embarrassing to see how far behind I was.

Have a great Wednesday!


Anonymous said...

hey hey-i see you have Mercedes half marathon on your "to do" should join us for a carbo load dinner!!!

Tom said...

When I get off my running routine and then try to get my runs in later in the day, it hoses everything up and I usually get a DNR for the day.

.3 long is a lot at the end of the 10k. We'll all support the story you're sticking with.